Thursday, August 8, 2013

Like Work, Only Harder

For the past month, I have been working with some other volunteers from Talking Rock on a fundraiser for the families of the Granite Mountain Hotshots that lost their lives in the Yarnell Wildland Fire on June 30th. Through corporate sponsorships and generous personal donations, we have exceeded $160,000 in donations. We also have collected some amazing in-kind donations to auction off on August 19th, the day of our golf tournament. The auction could generate upwards of another $30,000. Although we may not quite achieve our goal of $250,000 for the families - we could get close.

I'm out of practice, doing this sort of work. Attending meetings, juggling spreadsheets, fielding email, answering and returning phone calls...it's stressing me out, and I'm exhausted. I know, I volunteered for this gig. All I need to do is remind myself why we are doing this, and get back to work. The end result will be worth whatever it took to get there.

In the meantime, the laundry is piling up, my office looks like a tornado came through, I'm not cooking meals, my blog is late, I'm envious of Ron out on the golf course right now, and of the beer he'll be having afterward. I'm afraid I've alienated some people (volunteers) by giving them tasks and instructions that are required to accomplish what needs to be done. (Those who know me know I have a bossy streak. "Really?") I can't wait for things to get back to normal after August 19th.

This is an education in volunteer work. Next time it may be someone else's turn to take the wheel.

For anyone who would like to donate $19 for our 19, here's an easy way to do it. We would be very grateful.
http://www.crowdrise.com/granitemountainhotsh

No comments:

Post a Comment